Whether on your Mac or mobile device, listening to music has long been an essential feature on Apple devices. With the launch of the Apple Music subscription service in 2015, downloading and consuming more media has become easier. From the cloud to your device: album art is sometimes lost. In this case, there are some tips you can try to get them back.
Use iTunes on Mac
In this first step, you will learn how to reset album art for albums in iTunes.
- Open the on Mac iTunes App.
- Choose Library,
- Choose albums on the left side of the screen.
Get the album artwork
The first thing you can try to fix your problem is right click on one album iTunes lacks artwork and selection Get the album artwork, Confirm in the pop-up menu with Get the album artwork, Repeat this process manually for each album in your collection that lacks artwork. This solution doesn’t always work, especially for singles and incomplete albums that you may have bought years ago.
You can also choose File> Library> Get album art if you miss a lot of works of art. This step also plays an important role.
Start playing a song
Album art in iTunes often returns after you start playing a track in an album that has a problem. This solution usually works best for me.
Organize the library
Another option is to reorganize your iTunes library by selecting File> Library> Organize Library from the toolbar in iTunes.
Rebuild the iTunes music library
Under this solution:
- output iTunes on your computer.
- Back up your iTunes media folder on your computer. This folder is located under Music in your private folder on Mac.
- Copy iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Library.xml,
- Delete the iTunes Library or iTunes Library.itl file,
- Start iTunes and choose File> Library> Import Playlist,
- Navigate to iTunes Library.xml and click Choose.
- After a few minutes, your iTunes music library will be restored.
Clear the cache
In macOS, iTunes creates a cache folder with images. Deleting and replacing this folder is another possible solution to the missing album art problem. In order to do this:
- Find the music Folder under Home on your Mac.
- Click the button inside iTunes Folder.
- Next choose the Album artwork Folder.
- Delete the cache Folder inside.
- Empty the rubbish on your computer.
- restart iTunes,
Note: Do not delete any other folder in the album art folder.
- Can’t I add pictures in iTunes? Greyed out? Here’s how to fix it
- How to activate a computer in iTunes
- How to use and create smart playlists in iTunes and on your iPhone
For something else
You can also add album art manually on your computer using iTunes.
- Search for the album on Google and download the relevant images to your computer.
- Right-click the album in iTunes.
- Choose Album info,
- Choose album,
- click Add artwork,
- Import the artwork You downloaded from Google.
The added graphics will eventually appear on all of your iCloud-enabled devices.
Regardless of the iTunes solution you choose, give it time. Each of the options above can take a few minutes. You may also want to restart your computer after trying one of the solutions. sometimes this little step is the trick.
Use Apple Music
Apple Music also occasionally lacks the album cover. To fix this, you can make some changes to your computer in iTunes or on your iPhone.
On your computer
- If you choose this route, choose File> Library> Get album art in iTunes as mentioned above.
- Next choose File> Library> Update iCloud Music Library,
- After the iCloud Music Library is updated, open the music App on your iOS device.
- If songs or albums are still missing, Remove the downloads from your device.
- Then tap Download icon To the right of the title (or album) to download the media again from the iCloud Music Library.
On your cell phone
Another option is to update the iCloud music library on your computer via iTunes and then:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap music,
- Switch off from there iCloud Music Library,
- tap Turn off to confirm.
After waiting a few seconds, turn iCloud Music Library back on and:
- At the command prompt merge your music.
- Go to the music App and see if the problem has been fixed.
Another iPhone solution
Often the music on our iOS devices is a mix of iTunes tracks and downloaded content from Apple Music. For this reason, the missing footage may not be related to Apple Music at all. Regardless of the reason, you can also try wiping all the music from your iOS device and see if that helps resolve the issue. However, first make sure that you are using iCloud for backup. Depending on the type of music, your tracks may otherwise be lost forever.
- Tap on your iPhone the settings App.
- tap General,
- tap iPhone storage,
- Under Recommendations To edit about all songs.
- Touch the Red circle left of all songs.
- tap Clear.
The music app is now free of content. You can download songs and albums again from Apple Music (or iTunes, if applicable). Check that the album art has finally returned.
Odd and ends
There are a few other things you can try to recover album art in iTunes or Apple Music, including:
Stay up to date
First, make sure you have the latest version of macOS and iOS on your devices. Click the button on Mac Apple icon On the top right of your device. Choose from there About this Mac, click on the Software update Click and follow the instructions when an update is available to download and install.
Tap to update iOS the settings App on your home screen. Next choose General, From there, tap Software update and follow the instructions.
Are you still having problems? You should contact Apple iTunes support. Hopefully they can fix your problem quickly.
As you can see, there are numerous ways to add missing graphics to your iTunes or Apple music collection. It is best to start with iTunes and try some of the possible solutions first. If none of these solutions work, read our suggestions for the iPhone.