Technology advances exponentially, we can see how different equipment becomes obsolete over time, they are left with little storage space: 1 megabyte, which was much in its time, becomes nothing compared to 1, 2 and even 10 terabytes in the Today, that is not to mention the processing of modern machines, but come on, 10 terabytes? Even more! However, we all agree that this means that applications and files require more memory and a more powerful processor from our machines. But what if it did not have to be this way?
In this opportunity I will talk about Cloud Computing, which is, what it is for, and I will show you its characteristics and the most outstanding examples of the companies that nowadays predominate in offering services of this type.
What is Cloud Computing and what is it for?
The definition of Cloud Computing can be a bit abstract to understand at the beginning, we are talking about a technological proposal that is revolutionizing the way in which services related to computing work.
But again and explained more simply. What is cloud computing?
We can understand this term as servers located in the network, which are responsible for providing users with different services such as storage space in the cloud, external processing and tools to perform and develop different computer projects (apps or software). By this I mean that users do not have to worry about the limited resources that their team possesses, since they can hire the services of a provider of these to store and protect as much data as they want and need or work on a platform that offers a fluid processing capacity for your projects.
The services offered by Cloud Computing are divided into 3 types:
Infrastructure as a service (IaaS): This offers both processing capacity and storage by the IaaS provider.
We speak of a service that provides the user with a place to store their data in the cloud together with a processing speed that is not related to their physical equipment. Of course, this varies according to the quality of the service contracted. This service is based on the use of the physical resources of the server located in the cloud.
Platform as a service (PaaS): This type of service offers the client tools for the different activities that he can carry out in relation to the creation of projects of a computer nature, so that he can create and develop applications without having to worry about the installation of such programs on your computer. Apart from this, the service saves the need to obtain expensive licenses that are in the market, since these are integrated with the platform, and are always updated by the service provider.
Software as a service (SaaS): We refer to a complete application based on the cloud, which can be accessed through the internet and used. We talk about finished products for specific purposes and defined for certain user needs. Examples of this type of service can be seen in applications that we use every day, such as emails ( Gmail , Hotmail, Yahoo), calendars and office tools. It should be noted that the user has no control over them.
Advantages and disadvantages of Cloud Computing
Cloud Computing offers a new business paradigm, but what are its advantages and disadvantages? As any system has its ups and downs.
Among the main advantages and disadvantages of Cloud Computing we can highlight the following:
- Low costs compared to other services: being a platform that offers different tools for the needs of the consumer, there is no need to invest in any type of license or in any type of infrastructure, this translates into significant cost savings .
- Greater speed when working: since the resources are in the same Cloud Computing service, we can work on our projects without any hassles, besides not counting that all the tools, usually are also in the same platform.
- Real-time information: any type of information or work done on the platform is modified in real time.
- Provides a virtually unlimited storage capacity: if you have little space on your computer, have too much information or simply want to store your data elsewhere to keep your computer in optimal working , the hosting service allows you to store data easily and access to them at all times if you have an internet connection.
- It is always in constant innovation: Cloud Computing platforms are always evolving, correcting failures and adding new functions for their clients, which translates into an investment in the future.
- Technical problems: As any internet service, may be temporarily unavailable, this means that we can not access our data at any given time. Although today with current technology this almost does not happen as there are many backup mechanisms.
- Requirement of a high speed connection: if we are going to use a platform of this type we must have a powerful connection, or at least decent, this means that if you have a connection of poor quality, that fails at all times, maybe this It is not the best option to work.
- Security: Saving your information in the cloud can make it a victim of hacker attacks. On the web there is no absolute security and there is always someone innovating in the methods of stealing data. However, security services are usually competent and this usually does not happen.
Essential characteristics of Cloud Computing
- Complete and easy accessibility: We can access systems, software, files and services from anywhere using any type of device, this means that if we want to access our data from our cell phone on a family vacation at the beach to consult any file that we need, we can do it.
- Null maintenance : Since we will never need to install anything on our computer or that of each user, we have no responsibility for equipment maintenance.
- Flexibility : We speak of a system that has a capacity to improve in terms of technological resources, depending on the needs of the users, given by the provider. This allows it to be easily scalable. For example increase ram memory, hard disk, etc.
- Security : although it is heard to say otherwise, the security of Cloud Computing is quite competent, it could even be said that it is even greater than that of traditional companies. The servers in the cloud are pretty safe.
- Cost : as mentioned, Cloud Computing is a safe way to save money in exchange for a 100% efficiency work methodology. This is because the infrastructure is provided by a third party and is not acquired once.
- Scalability: it has a facility to react and adapt without losing quality, allowing to handle continuous growth in a fluid way.
- Performance: The systems located in the cloud organize and optimize the use of the available resources automatically, this allows a control, monitoring and notification of the same 24 hours a day. Counting that this capacity, gives both the client and the supplier an absolute transparency.
What do they say in Twitter about Cloud Computing?
Gigas : It is an international company located in Madrid, Spain. Its services are divided into two large parts, the Cloud Datacenter, in which it provides a set of resources (RAM and storage space without limits), and the Cloud VPS (Virtual Private Server). If you want to find out about how to get their services you can visit their official website https://gigas.com
Acens : another of the best rated providers in Spain, offers servers, hosting and accommodation, also located in Madrid, offers a wide variety of options when hiring their services, offering categories such as Cloud and hosting which in turn offer subcategories, It has different options so you can find the one that matches what you need. If you want to see the different options that Acens offers you just visit their website https://www.acens.com
ABServer Data Center : Also , known for offering its customers in Spain a level of security with their projects, is quite committed to providing a service of 100% quality, these vary from VPS, dedicated and Hosting. You can access its contents from herehttp://www.abserver.es
Internationally we can highlight Google App Engine, Amazon Web Service, Go-Grid, OpSource, Rackspace and Azure, we can see that large companies also offer Cloud Computing platforms, matching the needs of the current technological world.
Cloud Computing courses
Cloud Computing courses are available on the web, one from none other than the great Microsoft company. They offer learning courses with videos where you can learn much of what it is to work in the private cloud world. In addition to this, they offer courses to obtain certifications in private cloud. Among these courses we can find the certification (MCSA): Windows Server 2012. And the certification (MCSE): Private cloud . If you want more details of these certifications and you are interested in learning with the videos that Microsoft offers follow this link that will take you to its official website: https://www.microsoft.com/es-mx/learning/cloud-training.aspx, yes, the courses are in English, however, it allows you to download the transcript in text, which allows you to translate it if you are sufficiently interested in learning with this great course that they offer.
We can also find another quite complete course on Cloud Computing direct from Spain, brought by the people of ITMADRID, they offer a complete course of modules where they touch the different topics to master the area, from hybrid, public clouds, hardware cloud, software cloud, until you reach the private clouds and even the Amazon Web Services (AWS). With a duration of one month divided into 20 hours, it has a price of € 100. It includes a certificate, and can be paid by PayPal, debit or credit card to those who are out of the country. You can also pay by bank transfer if you currently reside in Spain. Then I will attach the link so you can get information and get all the details of this course
Cloud Computing in our day to day
While there has been talk of Cloud Computing from a point of view focused on technology, such as programmers and storage space. The truth is that Cloud Computing covers much more than that, and is that it is present in several aspects of our daily lives. Services like Facebook, Instagram and Youtube show us the power of the cloud in today’s society, allowing us to connect, communicate and share information immediately.
Communication has been facilitated, however, there are discussions of how Cloud Computing threatens the privacy of people. Every day it is easier to find out the information of the population , easier access to your files, and that, together with the internet of things, is leaving privacy aside in our lives.
However, we have its uses in other aspects of importance, such as education. The institutions have not been slow to see the potential of Cloud Computing and have begun to use it for their study methods, among these reasons we can find the ones previously discussed about cloud computing: accessibility from anywhere to the information on the part of the students, facility to reach and teach more students thanks to the use of online classes, updating administrative processes, which translates into a smaller amount of human resources and an ability to facilitate communication and information between teachers and tutors
And so we end this article on Cloud Computing, as we can see is part of our daily lives and implement it in our business plan could increase the efficiency of this in a meaningful way, since our information will always be at our fingertips just look for it.
Please leave your comments on what you think of the topic, and if you have had any experience with a hosting service like the ones mentioned above, do not forget to share this article on your social networks.